Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week’s topic is ten bookish things I want to quit.
- Blog procrastination – I’m currently writing this post 2 days before it will go live. I really want to start getting ahead on my blogging so that I can read and comment on everyone else’s posts more! If you haven’t already, check out my post about Blog Ahead 2015 which is currently underway.
- Unfinished series – If you’ve been reading my blog at all, you’ll know that I’m really trying to eliminate unfinished series in my life. I want to adopt a marathoning approach to series. This will help me avoid finishing series years later and help me actually remember what happened to the characters in the first book or two.
- Taking out more library books than I can read – This is probably one of my worst habits! Not because I forget about them and get late fees, but because someone else could be reading and enjoying the book while it’s just sitting unread on my shelf.
- Book envy – Yes, I buy the vast majority of my books used. Yes, I’m pretty happy with collection that I have. But do I get jealous of people that buy whatever they want, whenever they want? Of course! Their bookshelves are beautiful and they keep up with the new releases and I get a little envious at times. But I just need to take a step back and remember that do books the way that I do books for a reason and I should be content with that.
- Finishing books/series that I’m not enjoying – I always feel like I have to finish a book or series once it’s started, even if I’m not enjoying it. It’s so difficult to just walk away from a book or series. But life’s too short to read bad books!
- Using random scraps for bookmarks – I have some really cute bookmarks (most of them were gifts) but haven’t been using them consistently for whatever reason. Rather than using a Goodwill receipt, I need to use an actual bookmark to keep my page – they’re much cuter.
- Making overly ambitious TBRs – I put 20 books on my October TBR. Why did I do that? Definitely not realistic. I should set manageable goals and then increase them as needed.
- Using my bookshelf as a storage unit – I really want my bookshelf to be beautiful. When I get new books, I need to shelve them immediately. Not a book? Find somewhere else to put it, Rachel!
- Not logging my purchases right away – Because I get my books used, I often pick up the books in a series out of order. I use Goodreads to track what I own and what I need. Unfortunately, lately I have been slacking on the tracking which has resulted in accidentally buying doubles. It’s not a huge deal since the books are so cheap, but it can be avoided if I just keep up with the tracking.
- Feeling like my reading/blogging is inadequate – I feel like people (myself, especially) are wired to want to do more, be better, try harder, etc. I often feel like I’m not reading enough, reading the right books, doing enough blogging, etc. But I read a lot! And I just got into blogging! And who cares what I read as long as I enjoy it, right?
Do you want to quit any of these bookish things, too?
If not, what bookish thing do you want to quit?